Sunday 7 March 2010

A Proposal: To go back to somewhere I once knew well and see how it has changed.



These distorted interior views, and the thought that they could represent half-remembered things from the past, reminded me of when I was about 9, and my grandparents moved house. I went systematically around each room and memorised what they looked like, and then closed my eyes to check I could remember them. I still check every so often, and I do sort of remember, but I'm not sure if my attempt at becoming a sort of human camera was what did it. (Actually, later I'll add to this post a link to an artist who did a film piece about a girl who did actually turn herself into a camera, if I can find out who that was... Here we go)

One thing to do, would be to go back, and see how well it really worked. Maybe using the underwater-camera-in-a-jug-thing again.

(I suppose what I had made by using the waterproof camera to photograph from underwater things that were not, could be a camera that distorts memories of its own accord, so, perhaps, a more truthful camera than one that shows things as they were.)

Except, it'll probably have changed quite a lot. So I'm quite apprehensive. But here's the draft of the letter I wrote. It's quite honest, and quite polite, I like to think. And I've posted the real thing now anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive